Johnson Creek Elementary School
Friends of Our School
Meeting Minutes for October 8, 2015
Present: Jean Skogman, Kristin Chowanec, Stacy Miller, Tanya Ryan, Mindy Markus, Michelle Eisner, Teresa Keeser, Sarah Riley
Secretary’s Report: FOOS Website updates completed with “Minutes” added to top navigation on home page. Approved
Treasurer’s Report: Audit completed before 9/14, two pending items – Cash Deposit for Kwik Trip and Stadium Chairs. Approved
Old Business: None
- Fall Fest
- October 28, 2015. Approximately 20-25 minutes per class, est 380 students less 4K, start 8:30 a.m.
- 4K not attending as already at field trip
- Activity Stations – 6 Tables (Tanya will purchase table cloths and make table signs):
- Table 1: Face Painting, Tattoos (Jone available for face painting, Kristen confirmed she understands with volume of students to keep small, have options ready on paper for kids to choose from; Kristin will purchase tattoos)
- Table 2: Feel Boxes (16) (Tanya will compile/purchase and have back-ups but would like additional tissue boxes if possible)
- Frankenstein Brains – damp coarse sponge
- Spider Legs – twisted pipe cleaners
- Petrified Mouse Tails – small pretzel sticks
- Fresh Rat Tails – licorice sticks
- Dried Werewolf Tongues – dried apricots
- Dried Frankenstein Ears – dried apples
- Witch Toes – baby carrots
- Mummy Fingernails – slivered almonds or pumpkin seeds
- Fresh Eyeballs – peeled grapes or olives
- Vampire Teeth – tines from plastic fork
- Mummy Teeth – feed corn
- Ghost Slime
- Witch Warts – raisins
- Spider Webs
- Fresh Worms – cold cooked spaghetti noodles
- Bat Wings – soft flour tortilla with oil
- Table 3: Coloring and Puzzles– Stacy will locate and print coloring pages and word search and word scramble type activities; Tanya will email any she finds
- Table 4: Games – Tanya will locate tic-tac-toe game and send to Stacy to print and laminate; Tanya will purchase candy corn and candy pumpkins to use as pieces; Tanya will also see if she can find small cauldrons (may have some at home) to use for “Witch Pitch” table game
- Table 5:Crafts – (K-1) Masking Tape Mummies – Stacy will complete mummy cut outs; Kristin will get masking tape; (2-5) Spider Pencil Toppers – Tanya emailed link, Kristin will look into purchasing supplies (pencils, foam balls, paint, google eyes, pipe cleaners, glue/glue dots); Tanya will provide bowls for supplies
- Table 6: Legos
- Music in corner with hula hoops and limbo – Jean will check on music
- Tanya: Table cloths, Table signs, Feel Box items, cauldrons, candy corn, candy pumpkins, bowls
- Kristen: Tattoos, Masking Tape, Pencils & Stuff for spider craft
- Stacy: Printables, crayons, mummy cut outs
- Jean: Treat bags, music, decorations
- Volunteers: Tanya, Kristin, Mindy. Kris to request TAs and 5-6 High School Students; Teresa can assist with prep
- Jean will reserve activity room for 10/27 from 6-8pm to set up; Tanya will post on FOOS for additional volunteers and Jean will arrange for email
- Pumpkins- Michelle confirmed we will get 50 from Keesers (Thank You!) and is to follow up for numbers with Jelly’s on 10/19 and Eberts on 10/22.
- Second Grade trip to Young Auditorium production of Miss Nelson is Missing is postponed. Request previously approved.
- 4K is requesting $192 ($4 per student) for Eberts. Request Approved.
- Kindergarten is requesting $336 ($7 per student) for Busy Barns. Reviewed and approved $192 ($4 per student).
- Books for teachers will be approved at 2 books per teacher, $5 per book or $10 per teacher. 19 teachers. Parents can order books online.
- Will seek Teacher Wish Lists for winter items around beginning of December. Possibly have Santa deliver to classrooms.
3. Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 4-8pm on Tues 10/13 and Thurs 10/15. Will purchase 2-3 Walmart Subs for teachers for Tuesday. Stacy will suggest teach pot luck for Thursday.
- Plan on 40 teachers
- Items needed: Subs, Chips, Bottled Water, Candy, Plates, Napkins
4. Fundraising Ideas
- Splash for Cash (Country Springs). Considering November 6, 2015 and Jan 22, 2016 as potential dates. Jean is waiting to hear back on availability.
- Artwork Products (December). Square1Art or Limelight to be used. Jean will contact local business, Limelight, to see if the can handle the order based on time and volume.
- Ladies Day Out Bake Sale (November 14th, 2015). Jean will get flyer to Tanya to post on FOOS site. Will have bake sale and bottled water. Jean will check Sign Up Genius to determine number of baked goods requested last year as that was a good number without many left overs.
5. POP’s Cart
- Teresa handling
- T-shirt 100 Tickets
- Teresa will follow up on culver scoopie donation
Calendar of Events:
- Fall Fest (October 28, 2015)
- Friend of the Year (nomination forms sent out in November, award at winter program)
- Upcoming Fundraising Events:
- Plant Sale (April/May)
- Kwik Trip (Ongoing)
- Literacy Night Basket Raffle (Thursday, February 26, 2016)
- Splash for Cash (Country Springs) Pending availability
- Village Wide Rummage (April)
Meeting Adjourned at 7:37 p.m.
The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 6:00 p.m.